Title I Targeted Monitoring -
Monitoring Area 1: Instructional Support, Annual Title I Meeting
SEC. 1118. PARENTAL INVOLVEMENT.
(c) POLICY INVOLVEMENT- Each school served under this part shall —
(1) convene an annual meeting, at a convenient time, to which all parents of
participating children shall be invited and encouraged to attend, to inform parents of their school's participation under this part and to explain the requirements of this part, and the right of the parents to be involved;
(2) offer a flexible number of meetings, such as meetings in the morning or evening, and may provide, with funds provided under this part, transportation, child care, or home visits, as such services relate to parental involvement;
(3) involve parents, in an organized, ongoing, and timely way, in the planning, review, and improvement of programs under this part, including the planning, review, and improvement of the school parental involvement policy and the joint development of the schoolwide program plan under section 1114(b)(2), except that if a school has in place a process for involving parents in the joint planning and design of the school's programs, the school may use that process, if such process includes an adequate representation of parents of participating children;
(4) provide parents of participating children —
(A) timely information about programs under this part;
(B) a description and explanation of the curriculum in use at the school, the forms
of academic assessment used to measure student progress, and the proficiency
levels students are expected to meet; and
(C) if requested by parents, opportunities for regular meetings to formulate
suggestions and to participate, as appropriate, in decisions relating to the
education of their children, and respond to any such suggestions as soon as
practicably possible; and
(5) if the schoolwide program plan under section 1114(b)(2) is not satisfactory to the parents of participating children, submit any parent comments on the plan when the school makes the plan available to the local educational agency.
What meetings must schools hold to inform parents about Title I, Part A programs and parental involvement? Each school served under Title I, Part A must convene an annual meeting, at a time convenient for parents to inform them of their school’s participation in Title I, Part A programs, and to explain the Title I, Part A requirements and the right of parents to be involved in those programs.
In order to keep parents informed, schools must invite to this meeting all parents of children participating in Title I, Part A programs and encourage them to attend. Schools must offer a flexible number of additional parental involvement meetings, such as in the morning or evening so that as many parents as possible are able to attend. [Section 1118(c)(1) and (2), ESEA.]